Tasty Tuna Sandwich

I've already told the story some weeks ago about my fish issues and how they stem from my dad's maniacal fishing obsession... but what I haven't talked about is how I got over my aversion.

It was back in 1994 when I was on a well being program which involved hiring a personal trainer. Guy was his name - he had me on a high protein diet which helped me reduce body fat and gain muscle mass. It was a great time in my life, training with Guy. Not only did I peel off stacks of kilos, I also started to look like Miss Hard Body 1994. I don't ever remember feeling that well or that physically capable before or since!

But what I didn't like was the amount of beef Guy's eating program had me consume. I had to eat 125g of animal protein a day. I actually think I ate twice that, which would explain why I was able to lift 125kgs on the leg press! I went Guy and told him that I thought I was eating too much beef. I was also eating chicken, turkey and eggs, but no fish. Guy's answer was simple: eat tuna.

I don't know what else I thought he'd say! I had seen Guy eat tuna and rice - it was disgusting! A pile of glutenous rice with the tuna straight out of the tin sitting on top. No salt. No pepper. No love and kisses! I complained about it to my friend, Cameron, and he immediately tried to convince me that canned tuna was absolutely delicious. I thought back to the days in primary school when my best friend used to turn up with fish paste on her sandwiches. Eew! She'd take the lid off her lunch box and a pungent aroma of over ripened fish would waft out, scattering us in all directions. Shockingly, she always ate the sandwich anyway and suffered from fish breath for the rest of the afternoon.

"They don't make fish paste out of tuna, do they?" I asked Cameron. He said no. Then he asked me over for lunch, saying he was going to show me just how tasty a tuna sandwich could be. When I arrived, Cameron showed me a tin of Greenseas Tuna in Springwater. Forget the one in oil, he told me... too fatty. He then proceeded to make me the most scrumptious tuna sandwich I've had in my life. I integrated tuna into my diet and I've never looked back!

Ingredients
90g tin of tuna in springwater (dolphin friendly please!)
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1 tblsp low fat whole egg mayonnaise
several lettuce leaves (minionette or coral are excellent choices)
3 slices ripe red tomato

1. Lightly toast the bread. This is very important and absolutely crucial!

2. In a bowl, combine the tuna (drain the springwater first tho!), onion and mayonnaise. Stir until all ingredients are well combined.

3. Heap the tuna mix onto one slice of bread. Arrange the tomato slices and the lettuce leaves over the top. Cover with the other slice of bread and either cut in half on the diagonal or leave it uncut if you prefer! Eat while still warm!

Note: for extra falvour, try adding chopped black olives to the tuna mix. You could also try a couple of capers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marshmallow Sherbet Cones

White Chocolate Ganache

Road Test: Sunbeam Mixmaster v Kenwood Patissier