Caramel Cream Sponge Cake - Coming Soon

I've just come out of a meeting where I was day dreaming about a cake my dad used to buy when I was a slip of a girl. I'm going to call it Caramel Cream Sponge Cake. It was sold at a bakery a Greenhills Shopping Centre near Maitland, Newcastle. We didn't go to that shopping centre often. In fact, when I was a girl big shopping centres like Westfield or malls like Stockland weren't very common. I only remember going there a few times - one time being with my Aunty Liz when my little cousin stole a chocolate from the self select chocolate stand in Kmart. But that's a story for a different day.

Dad took us to Greenhills once or twice during the time when Mum was working on the chicken farm as an egg collector. It was an awful job, and he'd buy a cake to have ready for when Mum arrived home. He had a thing for coconut and caramel, so the caramel cream sponge was the obvious choice: a double sponge with caramel and whipped cream in the middle sandwiched together. Whipped cream was spread thinly around the sides, which were then rolled in toasted desicated coconut. More caramel was spread across the top, with some florets of whipped cream piped on the edges for final decoration. Man that cake was good!

So - I'm laying down a baking challenge for myself. I shall attempt to reinvent this cake this weekend and post the resulting recipe on this very blog with a photo of course! Here's hoping I can do my memory of caramel cream sponge cake justice!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marshmallow Sherbet Cones

White Chocolate Ganache

Road Test: Sunbeam Mixmaster v Kenwood Patissier