Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Easter Bird’s Nests with Vanilla Cupcakes
200g high quality cooking chocolate
20g Copha, melted
3 large handfuls of shredded coconut
72 Cadbury mini-eggs
1. Place the chocolate in a glass bowl and melt in a microwave oven on high for 80 seconds. Remove and stir with a metal spoon to combine until all chocolate pieces are melted. Use extra burst of five seconds in the microwave if the last bits won’t melt, but be very careful not to burn the chocolate.
2. Pour the melted copha over the chocolate and mix until well combined.
3. Add the coconut one handful at a time, folding through the chocolate to coat each strand. Make sure the mix is wet enough to stick together, but not so wet that the chocolate forms a pool under the coconut.
4. Drop heaped teaspoonfuls of coconut mixture into non-stick gem scone tins. Carefully shape a cavity in the middle for the mini eggs to rest.
5. Place two mini eggs on each nest and place in the fridge until set. Use to decorate your favourite cupcakes – the ones shown are my traditional vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream icing.