Monday, July 02, 2012

The "Lia" Wedding Cake

I'm almost at the point now where I can make any big cake I can dream of and it will turn out pretty much as I planned. Last week I made this big cake for a wedding, and I am naming it "The Lia" after the bride. She asked for a chocolate cake, white on the outside with red flowers, but pretty much left the rest up to me. The wedding reception only had 30 guests, so there was no need for a multi-tiered construction. But I didn't want the cake to be a flat thing on a table for the photo with the bride and groom, so I made a stacked chocolate cake - two eight inch cakes both 4 inches high, covered in chocolate ganache then covered in fondant.

All the flowers are edible, and again, I made them all myself. It's the first time I've ever put sugar flowers on a wire and I must say there is a trick to it, which I don't think I'm privy to. If you are every wondering why wedding cakes like this cost so much, it's because the handmade sugar flowers take many many hours to make. They can't actually be made in one go either - they need to be created layer upon layer, sometimes with a days drying time in between each. I spent a lot of time talking to my mum about making these flowers. I used pre-prepped flower moulding paste, and I really think it is a poor replacement for the pastillage my mum and Aunty used on the flowers they made for my birthday cake (when I was five!). Those flowers "clinked" like china. These ones just never dried to that point. But all in all, I am very pleased with this result.

1 comment:

Lotus Child said...

Petrina, you never cease to amaze me with your impeccable looking (and tasting)cakes!

There was an error in this gadget