No Bake Lemon Slice

What can I say about lemon that I haven't said before?

I've told the story of my mother's lemon tree that fruited three seasons of the year. And I think I've told the story of the minature lemon tree my husband and I were given for our wedding (which incidentally has fruited more lemons this year than we've ever had from it before).

Lemon is one of those classic flavours that just cannot be outdone. It's up there with chocolate and vanilla in my opinion.

When I was pregnant, I was surprised to find I craved lemon (and tomato). I would happily have eaten nothing else, which probably wouldn't have agreed with me since both are so high in acid. Yet those were the two flavours I wanted most.

I've had friends say in the past that a vanilla cake with lemon icing is the next best thing to heaven. Lemon when it is allowed to retain it's simple nature is a beautiful thing in cooking. So all hail the humble lemon! Here is my mornng snack tribute to lemon.

Ingredients
500g Milk Arrowroot biscuits
2 cups desicated coconut
2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
250g butter, melted
1 cup condensed milk

1. Finely crush the biscuits and combine them in a large bowl with the coconut and lemon rind.
2. Gently heat the melted butter and condensed milk.
3. Pout over the biscuit mix and stir until combined - make sure all crumbs are wet.
4. Pour into a 30cm x 20cm brownie tin and press to compact. Keep pressing until the biscuit base becomes firm. Make sure you press the mixture evenly and fill the corners so that the base is level. If you have a small rolling pin you could you it to finish the top to make it smooth. I used a rice spoon which has a wide flate back.
5. Chill the biscuit base for half an hour.

Icing
2 cups pure icing sugar
3 tblsp lemon juice
3 tblsp desicated coconut

1. Combine the icing sugar and lemon juice and mix until combined. Make sure there are no lemon seeds in the juice.
2. Spread the icing over the top of the biscuit base.
3. Sprinkle the coconut liberally over the top.
4. Allow to stand for an hour so that the icing sets. Return the slice to the fridge if you like - this will help it cut better.
5. Carefully loosen the sides of the slide from the tin and slide it out onto a chopping board. Cut into 16 rectangles or 32 smaller ones.

Note: I think this slice is best stored in the fridge but you can also freeze it and thaw before eating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marshmallow Sherbet Cones

White Chocolate Ganache

Road Test: Sunbeam Mixmaster v Kenwood Patissier