Egg White Omelette

I remember clearly the very first time I ever cracked an egg. I was about eight years old and I was in my Nana’s kitchen in her big old house up in Taree. We were making the pastry for a mulberry pie – the mulberries having been freshly picked by my sister and I from the tree in the backyard that morning. Nana needed to add an egg to the short crust pastry and I asked could I crack it? I was astounded when she said yes.

She placed a bowl on the bench top and showed me how to crack the egg against the lip of the bowl. I took the egg in my tiny hand, raised it gingerly in the air and brought it down hard against the bowl, rupturing the perfect shell, creating a rift around its girth. I forced my fingers into the rift and pried the egg open. But the delicate contents inside did not flow into the bowl as anticipated – instead, to my horror, they slipped onto the floor and lay there staring back at me in defiance!

I expected Nana to go scone-hot on me! Instead she placed her hands on her sturdy hips, threw her head back in the air and let out a loud cackle of amusement. I had never seen her laugh so hard!

“Never mind!” she said, sprinkling the fallen angel with flour and wiping up the mess. She handed me another egg, encouraging me to try again. And this time my egg cracking efforts were a success!

Here is a recipe for egg white omelette – not nearly as sinful as Nana’s mulberry pie, but high in protein and low in fat for those who want to avoid emulating Nana’s sturdy hips.


Ingredients
1 whole egg
2 extra egg whites
10g fat reduced grated tasty cheese
Olive oil spray

1. Heat a Teflon coated fry pan on the stovetop. Lightly coat with olive oil spray.

2. Crack the whole egg into a bowl – glass will do! Add the extra egg whites, then beat with a balloon whisk until the eggs become fluffy and aerated.

3. Pour the eggs into the hot pan, then sprinkle with the grated cheese. Allow to cook until the top is almost completely set.

4. Take an egg lifter and gently run it around the edges of the omelette, separating them from the pan. Then slide the lifter under one side of the omelette and flip it over onto the other to form a half circle shape. Flip the whole thing over onto its other side, and cook until all visible running bits are set.

5. Serve on a warm plate. This is very important, as a cold plate will cause your omelette to flop and turn rubbery. Serve with grilled tomato and lightly pan fried mushrooms.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marshmallow Sherbet Cones

White Chocolate Ganache

Road Test: Sunbeam Mixmaster v Kenwood Patissier