Roasted Beetroot

When I was a kid my nana came to stay quite often. At least once a year - which was often enough for me, since it was always me who had to give up my bed to accommodate her.

Nana was a salad nut in those days (she still might be, but I'm not sure what's on the daily menu at the place where she lives). And the essential ingredient to any salad, as far as Nana was concerned, was beetroot. Now, any sensible Australian know beetroot definitely belongs on a good hamburger. But in salad? Sliced or whole, the beetroot invariably wees it's red juice on everything it touches.

I never bent to Nana's love of beetroot in salad. Never the less, I'm aware that beetroot is somewhat of a superfood. Toss a fresh beetroot into your juicer with a carrot and an apple and you've got a veritable feast, albeit in a glass. But it seems to me that the best thing to do with a beetroot is roast it. Looks impressive on the plate, tastes delicious on the palate!

Ingredients
fresh beetroots (one per person)
olive oil
salt
pepper

1. Put on a pair of latex gloves. I promise you, you'll thank me for this later!

2. Cut the stems and leaves off the top of the beetroot and discard. Trim off the pointy end of the root at the other end of your beet. Then hold the beet in the palm of your gloved hand and peel it. Repeat with each one until all are peeled.

3. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius.

4. Arrange peeled beets in a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil then season with salt and pepper.

5. Roasted in oven for 90 minutes. Serve with Chicken Pot Roast or Roast Beef.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thankyou so much have wondered for ages how to roast beetroot.

Popular posts from this blog

Marshmallow Sherbet Cones

White Chocolate Ganache

Road Test: Sunbeam Mixmaster v Kenwood Patissier