Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Sultana Scones

My Grandmother was a prize winning scone maker.

I've been told this from a very early age, and for some strange reason I have felt that this should have ordained me as a prize winning scone maker too. Unfortunately, every time I go to make scones I always have to ring my mother and be reminded of the darned recipe. "What's in scones again?" I ask her. Well you know what? I've decided I don't care what was in Nana's scones or Mum's scones for that matter. Despite my impeccable scone pedigree I've got to stand on my own two feet where scones are concerned.

Therefore, hereby recorded for posterity, is my version of scones!

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1/2 cup corn flour
1/2 cup bicarbonate of soda
2 dsps sugar
1/2 cup sultanas
65g butter
1 1/2 cups of milk

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Combine self raising flour, corn flour, sugar and bicarb soda in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine all dry ingredients. Then stir through sultanas.

2. Melt butter in the microwave. Don't over do it! Pour over flour mixture and stir through with a fork. Use the fork to fluff the flour as you combine the butter to resemble fine bread crumbs (that's right - no rubbing the butter in here! This recipe is arthritis friendly!).

3. Add the milk to the mixture and stir to combine all ingredients until a nice wet dough forms.

4. Sprinkle a handful of extra flour onto your bench top and turn the dough out onto it. Flour both your hands and pat the dough out until its about 2cm thick. Do not knead the dough or be overly rough with it! This will cause your scones to be tough.

5. Cut 5cm rounds out of the dough with a cookie cutter. Arrange on baking tray covered with a piece of baking paper. Position scones up against each other so that their sides touch. You should get at least 12 scones out of your dough mix.

6. Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk to help them brown.

7. Bake in a moderate oven for 15 minutes or until tops have browned to a light golden colour. You'll be able to smell when the scones are cooked!

8. Serve immediately with jam and whipped cream and a nice cup of tea. Try not to scoff the entire batch in one sitting.

Note: you can exchange the sultanas for finely chopped dates. Or if you don't like fruit in your scones, leave them out altogether!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These scones are absolutely delicious!

There was an error in this gadget